Friday, March 22, 2013

Bryce Canyon National Park, Southern Utah: Just Beautiful


Bryce Canyon National Park is just beautiful. This national park is one of the highlights of southern Utah and one of the USA's most memorable parks.

Since I was driving in a clockwise direction to visit the state's national parks, I travelled about 90 miles from Zion National Park in the southwest to Bryce Canyon.

Some of the route was along National Scenic Byway 12. I highly recommend planning your trip along these byways when possible because the scenery is well worth it.

Scenic Byway sign, Utah, USA - Fran West

These Scenic Byways are well marked as you can see from the sign.

There's a whole list of these in a little booklet which was sent to me in 2009 from the American Park Network - "Utah's National Parks: your complete guide to the parks".


When I arrived at Bryce Canyon it was pouring with rain, not a good omen for taking photos.

However, the weather cleared up at times with a few sunny patches here and there, revealing the scenery in the two photos below.

Quite an adventure walking the muddy trails after rain as it was slippery in sections and sometimes each step was like pulling my feet out of glue as I squelched along the track. I just love having my boots caked in mud!

Nevertheless, there's nothing like walking in amongst the multihued rock formations.

Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah, USA - Fran West
As you drive further into the park, you'll come across several lookouts like the one below.

Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah, USA - Fran West
To really explore Bryce Canyon you need more than the two and a half days which I had. The colours of the rocks change depending on the time of day, particularly sunrise and sunset, and you need to experience the park in several ways by driving, walking, biking or riding a mule into one of the canyons.

Here's a link to more information about Bryce Canyon National Park.

There are two photos of Bryce Canyon in my kindle book on Amazon. Just click on the photo for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment